Skip to content
Part time work permit UAE

7 Things to Know About Part-Time Work Permits in the UAE

Starting in 2010, employers can apply for a Part time work permit UAE at MOHRE. In this way, they can hire staff for up to 1 year to perform specific tasks during that time. Likewise, workers with this permit have the option of working in two companies at the same time.

In this article, we will explain to you what this part-time work permit is all about and how you can obtain one. Also, we will let you know what the part-time work permit UAE cost is and the selection criteria.

1) Eligibility Criteria

Part time work permit UAE

To work part-time, a foreigner must obtain a Part time work permit UAE. This is the main and inclusive requirement to do any part-time job in the country. This is because in 2010 the authorities introduced a change in the law to allow people to have two jobs.

Therefore, with this permit, you can work full-time and part-time at another company under certain conditions. The Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratization (MOHRE) is the government entity that issues the permit. Furthermore, the temporary work permit is valid for 1 year from the time of issuance by MOHRE.

Therefore, it is illegal to work in this way without obtaining proper permission from the authorities, both for the worker and the employee. Thus, companies that hire workers without proper authorization will receive a fine of AED 50,000. Additionally, workers must comply with the following part-time work permit UAE requirements:

  • Minimum age. People who request the permit must be over 18 years old or they will not be able to receive it.
  • Residence visa. The applicant must have a valid UAE residence visa to apply for the permit.
  • If the expatriate worker is in the country on a family visa, they can also apply for one of these permits.
  • Persons holding a tourist visa in the UAE are not eligible.
  • People over 65 years of age cannot apply for a temporary work permit in the country.

2) Cost of Part-Time Work Permit

The part-time work permit UAE cost is AED 600 according to the two rates that make it up. Next, we will show you what the two rates consist of that you must pay to issue the service:

  • The permit application fee is AED 100.
  • The approval fee is AED 500.

However, it is not the employee who must pay the aforementioned fees, but the employer who must take charge. Moreover, permit fees are separate from those related to the Tas’heel service. This service includes an AED 72 business center fee and an AED 50 federal fee.

3) Application Process of Part-Time Work Permit

The employer is responsible for applying for the Part time work permit UAE for the future employee. To carry out this procedure, you can choose two methods, in which the first is to visit a Tas’heel center. On the other hand, we explain the second method, which is through the MOHRE website:

  1. Log in to the MOHRE website ( with your username and password or use your UAE Pass.
  2. Request through the available service delivery channels.
  3. Then, the Ministry will verify the compliance of the applicant with the requirements and documents.
  4. The requesting establishment will receive notification about the deficits.
  5. Next, if everything is in order, the corresponding authority will issue the part-time work permit.
  6. They will then approve the contract in electronic format.
  7. Lastly, you will need to pay federal permit processing fees.

4) Requirements for Part-Time Work Permit

The part-time work permit UAE requirements include the following documents:

  • Color photograph with a white background.
  • Copy of the passport of the employee, which must be valid for at least 6 months from the date of the application.
  • A job offer form issued by the MOHRE, which must be signed by both the worker and the employer.
  • Copies of the business licenses of the contracting companies (the primary or current one and the secondary or applicant).
  • For skill levels 1 and 2, a bachelor’s degree certificate or higher is required.
  • For skill levels 3 and 4, you will need a graduate diploma or higher.
  • Likewise, for skill level 5, you will need a high school certificate.
  • For skill levels 6 through 9, no certificate is required.
  • Professional licenses issued by the corresponding authorities in the case of certain professions such as doctors, teachers, physical trainers, and lawyers.
  • Copy of the employment contract of the requesting company.
  • No Objection Letter (NOC) issued by the current employer.
  • Copy of the visa of the worker (with at least 6 months validity with the name of the sponsor or company.

Hence, if you do not have any of these documents or are not properly certified, you will not be able to apply for the Part time work permit UAE.

5) Benefits of Part-Time Work Permit

Apart from your full-time job, you can get the part time work permit UAE benefits. Thus, if you obtain permission from MOHRE, you can enjoy the following advantages:

  • You can work in any of the job options offered by companies part-time.
  • With this permit, you can earn extra money apart from your salary at your full-time job.
  • Taking a temporary job in your specialty can help you gain experience in that area.
  • Even if the job is only for 6 months, this will help you add experience to your resume.

6) Part-Time Work Permit in UAE Renewal and Extension

You can only renew a Part time work permit UAE after the previous permit expires. Furthermore, you can only renew the permit once for the same duration, that is, for another 6 months until completing one year. In the case of an extension, the employee must have the consent of the current employer to complete the process.

To renew the temporary work permit, you must follow the procedure that we will indicate below:

  1. The employee must submit the permit renewal application form.
  2. Attach the same documents required for applying for the first time.
  3. Pay service fees.
  4. The employer must apply the MOHRE, in person or through the website of the Ministry.

On the other hand, to extend the permit and be able to continue working part-time in another company, follow the steps that we will indicate:

  1. The employer must consent to the employee requesting an extension of the part-time work permit.
  2. Next, the new employer must request permission for the worker.
  3. The MOHRE will verify if the worker meets the eligibility requirements and will issue a new permit for 6 months.

In both cases, you must remember that you can only make requests once, after which you will have no further chances.

7) Part-Time Work Permit in UAE Cancellation Process

If you want to do the part time work permit UAE cancellation, the process is very simple. In addition, you only have to meet a few requirements, which are the following:

  • A letter from the concerned authority (in this case the MOHRE), declaring the cancellation of the permit.
  • A copy of the original work permit.

However, you can only complete this process in person at one of the AMER Centers during established business hours. Likewise, the cost of the service is AED 50 + VAT and it takes about 48 hours to receive the response. Next, you will see the permission cancellation process, which includes a few steps:

  1. Go to one of the nearest AMER Centers.
  2. Then, at the center reception, you must choose the type of service you require and, in this case, request the cancellation of the permit.
  3. Submit the documents we mentioned above.
  4. Next, pay the service fees.
  5. Finally, apply.

After completing the process, you will have to wait about 48 hours to receive the response about the Part time work permit UAE. Once the authorities cancel the permit, the worker cannot continue working unless he makes a new request if he has not exhausted the permits.

How Connect Zone Can Help?

Part time work permit UAE

Due to the change made in the UAE labor law, foreign workers residing in the country can do part-time jobs. However, they must apply for a part time work permit UAE, which the company they will be working for must do it. Additionally, it is necessary to have a residence visa and the NOC of the current employer in the country.

To learn about this documentation and other processes related to the business world, at Connect Zone we can help you. In this way, our group of experts offers you valuable information just by contacting us.

Request a Quote